Spousal Support in Prince William Virginia 

How do Virginia laws define child abuse and neglect?

An abused or neglected child is a child whom the caregivers create, inflict, allow or they threaten physical or mental harm in a non-accidental way. Also, abuse or neglect can occur when the responsible for their welfare does not exercise the necessary care for the child’s health or allows a child to commit the sexual act against him. The child may be a victim of abuse or neglect even if it is not clear who has injured. A case of abuse or neglect may be a minor whose parent or guardian leaves it, or does not have the mental or physical ability to watch over him or her, or leave him alone at home with someone who is not related and that has been condemned for certain sexual crimes. It is also a victim of abuse or neglect a minor who found under the care of their parents or others involved in the production or distribution of drugs Illegal. 

 Why do you have to appear in court?

The Department of Social Services (“Social Services”) receives reports of suspected cases abuse or neglect of a minor. Family service specialists investigate such reports and, if these they are verified, they determine what help the family and the minor require. If the family does not cooperate, the situation is serious, or services cannot be provided to the minor if he remains in the home, the Department of Social Services will file a petition with the Juvenile Court and Domestic Relations (“the Tribunal”) to issue an Emergency Order of Transfer to Another Home. Said order, once issued by the court, grants the legal guardianship of the minor, as an emergency measure, to the Department of Social Services.

The actions ordered by the court in these cases are intended to guarantee the safety of the child, help families create a healthy environment for their children at home, and ensure that both families how children receive the help they need.

  • The judge can require you and your family to get help. The judge may also order that the minor remain under the tutelage of the Department of Social Services and be placed in the care of their children. That means that the Department of Social Services is left with legal responsibility for your child, and can decide, with the judge’s approval, where your child should live and what you have to do to make the sure return. You are still financially responsible for your child and may be ordered to pay for your maintenance.
  • The same problems that brought you to court could also result in criminal charges against you, your spouse or any other member of the family. In such case, you or they may also have to appear before the court for these other allegations. Criminal cases are not dealt with in this manual. How can you get the child back home?
  • Children are better educated in a safe, permanent and loving family. When they are separated from their homes, it is best for them to return as soon as possible. For the child to be returned, you must ensure the security of your home and guarantee the due care of the child within the deadlines set explain in this manual.
  • When a child cannot return to their family, they will find another safe and permanent home, often through adoption. 

Who will help you?

Your family services specialist The Department of Social Services will assign a family services specialist to your family and the child. When you go to court, they should provide you with that person’s name and phone number. his Family services specialist must:

  • Help you understand the problems you ended up in court with
  • Help you take the steps you need to take to get the child back
  • Stay in constant communication with you and the child. To take care of your son or daughter, your family services specialist will need the following information
  • Certified from birth
  • Medical history of the family
  • Proof of medical insurance
  • Social Security card
  • History of immunizations
  • Your income and salaries
  • Names and addresses of relatives who could take care of the child
  • Identity information of both parents, including their names, addresses, insurance numbers Social, dates of birth and telephone numbers.